Music for The Troubled Man


Templates Online

Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Physical Side Of Life

Being active and physical are things that are very important to me. I haven't always been like this however as I was very lazy as a child. I had a mostly sedentary existence apart from an hour a week of soccer which was not nearly enough to be fit and healthy. I would sit inside, watching tv or reading a book more often than not; with no inclination of going outside. I had a very sedentary upbringing as none of my family did any sports or was active in any way. I am still to this day angry that my parents didn't sign me up for enough sports. I was an overweight, lazy kid. I was very involved in singing and I read lots of books, but sports didn't really interest me all that much. This trend would continue until I moved to Vancouver and discovered tennis at the age of 12. Not surprisingly, I discovered tennis while watching tv. I was instantly taken by watching the professional tennis players play on tv, and I wanted to try this sport for myself. My parents signed me up for lessons and I loved it every time I went. It was at this time that I made the transition from a sedentary to a physical person. I suddenly longed for the  outdoors, playing with my friends outside and playing lots of sports. When it rained, I would play tennis indoors and enjoy the thrill of physical exertion. My love of physical activity and the outdoors blossomed with each coming day. I went on canoe trips during the summer that pushed my endurance to the limit and went to summer camp each summer. I continue to enjoy the physical side of life more than ever. It's so much more rewarding to come through a hard two hours of tennis than to stay home and go on the computer or watch tv. I must admit I still do a fair bit of that, but I enjoy being physically active much more than being sedentary. When I'm sitting in a math class bored out of my wits, I yearn for freedom of the outdoors. I wish I could just run until I'm spent and escape the prison of the math classroom. I have made a huge transformation as I've grown up by being more physical, and I much prefer this to a sedentary existence. It's a very important part of my life and I hope others will discover the wonders of physical activity and the outdoors, just as I have.

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy you were able to discover the joys of exercise and a physical lifestyle. Though you came at it late, you seem to have caught on quickly and I hope you're able to maintain this through your life. I think that I realized the power of being active at an early age and soon saw the social, mental and physical benefits of being in sports myself as a child. I vowed to send my kids to as many of those athletic activities as possible and I think they'll be much better off with it. I think you are so right about that euphoria you feel of pushing your body to the limit. Once you've experienced it, you want it again and again. Just to reinforce your assertion for the physical you should read about the research being done about the positive effects of exercise on developing brain power. There are many sites out there, but I found one that gives a good brief synopsis without the very technical jargon that can be out there. Do pull more people along into your physical lifestyle as I think you're in the minority at this school.
    http://www.brainrules.net/the-rules

    ReplyDelete