Music for The Troubled Man


Templates Online

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Journal #3
            I spoke to Atticus about how I hated school and that he should teach me instead. I thought this was a grand idea but unfortunately Atticus didn’t think the same. He said that it was law that I go to school but I argued that the Ewells didn’t go to school so why should I? Atticus would not budge however so I’m stuck at school for the next few years of my life. The first day felt like an eternity and I didn’t know how I could bear much more of it. Atticus did say that he would continue reading to me as long as Miss Caroline wasn’t aware of it so at least there was a silver lining to my predicament.

            Atticus continued his teachings, but this was just a small comfort compared to the horror of school. School went by sluggishly, the curriculum much too easy for me. I was far more literate than most of my classmates and we crept through the year at what I felt to be a snail’s pace. One day after school I discovered a knothole covered in tin foil in one of the Radley’s Oak trees. I discovered 2 pieces of chewing gum, in relatively good condition. I eagerly popped them in my mouth and they tasted alright, despite the belief that most things at the Radley place were poisonous. When I told Jem of my delicious treat and where I found it he was horrified and made me spit it out. The flavour in the gum was long gone by this point so I wasn’t all that angry.

            School ended at last and Jem and I returned to the knothole. We were surprised to find two Indian head pennies under the foil and with the expression, “finders’ keepers” implanted in our minds, we snatched the pennies. Dill returned to Maycomb several days later and we gladly resumed our games together. Dill had an obsession with Boo Radley and Radley place. Despite the prodding of Atticus to stop sending Boo messages and disturbing the man, Dill was set on peeking through the shutters of the mysterious house. Dill, Jem and I have decided to accompany him and we are planning to go tomorrow on Dill’s last day in Maycomb.

No comments:

Post a Comment